Tuesday 16 August 2016

Finding Chartree Villa in Freshwater, Isle of Wight

Ventnor Old Cemetery floating above the Atlantic Ocean
Records from the Heritage Museum in Ventnor showed that Ann Argyle, my great, great grandmother, died on the 14 December in 1894 and was buried in the Old Cemetery in Ventnor in Plot B, 2869. Fred and I walked around the cemetery but the headstones are so faded and the plots unmarked, so we quietly moved on. She had died before meeting her little granddaughter, Nellie.

William and Kathleen were living at No 2, Chartree Villa, Copse Lane in Freshwater when Nan was born in 1899. We headed to Freshwater, found Copse Lane and were so surprised to find the house, still called Chartree almost 120 years later! I felt emotional and teary, Nan meant so much to me as a little girl living in Vanderbijlpark.

Nan's Birth Certificate noting the family's address in Freshwater as Chartree Villa, Copse Lane
William and Kathleen's home on Copse Lane and the views of the streets where they would have walked.

Postscript:

I am going to dedicate my latest quilt that I am working on to Ann Argyle as a celebration of my female line. 

The quilt is inspired from a workshop with Kaffe Fassett and I used pieces of Mom's material and antique fabric in the quilt. 

Maybe the title could be: Hands over the Ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment