Thursday 25 September 2014

A post for little "Don't touch it"

All this time I thought my Mom unique in her passion for crafts. Meanwhile her mother was too, she is making a string bag which needs to be lined, string lampshades and she has Pa knitting on the single bed knitting machine.

In the Messina letter, she has started a  blanket for her 'little "Don't touch it", as it is time she got one too'

My sisters had no or very little years with their grandparents, so it is precious to see Inel mentioned in this letter. 

In 1968, Inel was a year old and Nan is delighted to share with Mom how clever she and Sis have been in adapting a pattern from a picture of a blanket being held by the Presidents' wife ( likely Lettie Fouche, as Jim Fouche was South African President in 1968). 

I am assuming Sis or Sissie, who engraved my copper baobab, was Pa's sister. She was a creative force in those years and Nan was just a little in awe of her.


All about a blanket for Inel.
I am noticing another shared quality between mother and daughter - they were frugal, loved scraps and hoarded all sorts of bits and pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment