Sunday 21 September 2014

A small matter of money


"A word is dead when it is said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day."
 Emily Dickinson
So, in tackling my letter project, I am going to take the lead from the fabulous Dickinson poem where she says that when a word is said, that is just the beginning of the whole story. I will not censor or edit, but sit with the comfort or discomfort of the content of the letters in my possession.



So, my father, Choeps to his Mom, has asked for money and his father has agreed to lend him R800. They can do this as they are busy sending mealies in and are expecting some 'geld in soon'.

I was bemused to read, further into the letter:

'By the way please don't mention to Bob that we are financing you otherwise he might feel like asking for something too. He is not too good a payer so am not interested in lending to them besides which he gets such a damned good screw. I fail to see what he does with it.  They were moaning much better when they were here last.'


1 comment: