Thursday 18 September 2014

Dear Little Brown Mouse



This tiny envelope, 5cm  by 7cm, is tucked right at the bottom of the box of letters and addressed to Miss N Argyle. It contains an invitation card to Little Brown Mouse to a party to be held on Wednesday the 5 January 1921. It implores Nellie to come 'Even by aeroplane because it is 'Smuttys' Birthday'. He makes the party a day affair and underlines 'long time'.




The sender is in Ngqeleni, inland of Port St Johns' in the Eastern Cape.

Nellie was to be my maternal grandmother but the sender is unknown to me and I cannot connect any dots here, neither the place nor who is writing.

It does not alter the delight in reading the letter card.
'The envelopes remind me of you my dear they are so big!' 
My Nan was tiny.

He writes of a tinned plum pudding, the scorching heat, feeling well and wearing riding togs as his box from Pretoria has only just turned up.

He writes of finding the stationery and his longing for his little Brown Mouse and that if he could be with her he would be happy.

My assumption is that the writer is not my maternal grandfather, he was Afrikaans and the writer mentions Mater and Dad which does not ring true for an afrikaans speaking young man.

I wonder who he was.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! And I wonder how did this get kept!? Presumably it found it's way to Nan who kept it?

    ReplyDelete