Thursday 25 September 2014

Four generations of women

Nan is sitting on the back veranda in a morris chair and the date is 31 May 1968. The chair has been adapted to hold her typewriter. She is visiting family in Messina, 'it is so nice and warm out here and I can help dad on with his knitting when he gets stuck.'

I started reading the Messina letters this morning to see if they can shed light on the copper etching I have in my autograph book. 
Instead I am discovering my Nan and I like who I am meeting in these letters.

I have always loved words and I especially loved Nan calling us her scallywags, the word has a slight edge to it, rascals, derived from pirate speak but it was her special term of endearment for her grandchildren.

Her scallywags have become generations of women who have her qualities.

Her letters are full of love and concern for her family; they show her industriousness, the joy of creating, of projects, of arts and crafts; her sense of fun and humour; the pleasure of colour and design; the beauty of flowers and a garden; an appreciation of small kindnesses; a curiosity; a perseverance; she is house proud and she has the ability to enjoy the detail in her life.

P.S. Am sitting chewing dried peaches which we have not seen for years and we found at Musiekers.'


Nan's generations of women.





I can relate to her story to Mom about Pa and the black dye! No doubt my sisters can too.
'Some people have silly husbands.'

Inel. Little "Don't touch" is you...

No comments:

Post a Comment