Sunday 23 November 2014

Dad stops smoking

Little book of sayings made by Inel.
After Inel's quick visit here in Johannesburg on her way to see Dad in Amanzimtoti, I went looking for some of her letter cards to me.

I found this dearest little book with sayings and illustrations that she made for me. I keep it on the landing upstairs next to my autograph book. Fun to read her messages again in her lovely handwriting.

The eighties brought on significant changes for my parents and the family.

Dad resigned from Iscor and took early retirement.

He had sold his share of Kalkwal to Ralph.

They left Vanderbijlpark for Howick in Natal.

Dad tried all sorts of new ventures one of which was public service and he ended up being the Major of Howick.

They became grandparents.




I have this letter card from Inel sent to me in France with big news indeed.

Dad stopped smoking in 1987 after decades of chain smoking.

I grew up with both parents as smokers and I recall complaining, particularly in the closed confines of a car.

He survived his stroke a decade later because of his healthier lifestyle which started in Natal.



1 comment:

  1. I recognised that handwriting immediately! Amazing how it hasn't changed :-)

    ReplyDelete