Monday 3 November 2014

The Wedderburn Aunts - Yvonne

Wedderburn brother at Kalkwal, 1956.
Standing from L: Yvonne, Bobby holding Bruce, Dolly, Ralph, Estelle (Mom), Chippie (Dad)
Sitting from L: Lynn, Nanny Ina holding me, Grandpa Percy, Ann
Dad, John Ennis Wedderburn, is the youngest of the 3 Wedderburn boys.

His brothers were Bobby, the eldest who married Yvonne, and Ralph, who married Dolly.

This black and white photo from my album shows my aunts and the growing Wedderburn clan in 1956.

I have this letter from Aunty Yvonne, she and Uncle Bobby were still living in Bloemfontein in 1956, to Mom and Dad the day after I was born. I love her comment 'it is the grandest adventure and the most worthwhile job on earth.'

Raising our two children has certainly been a grand adventure and continues to be so.

Their son Bruce was 10 months older than me, I am still in touch with him via Facebook, he lives between Malta and France. His mother called him 'a bundle of mischief'. I made contact with Ann in Cape Town a few years ago too, she looks and sounds so like a Wedderburn.

This is the only bit of writing I have from Aunty Yvonne. They moved to Johannesburg in the late 60's and eventually to Cape Town.

I do not remember much about family times together.

From one of Nanny Ina's letters it seems the farm house may not have been big enough for all 3 families for Christmas and perhaps we alternated?



No comments:

Post a Comment